Communities in the Age of New Media

By Sean Devlin (@sdevlin7)

In this past week’s class, we received a great lecture from Dr. Lisbeth Berbary.  Her research and work has some valuable lessons we can apply to our communities.

I found her methodology and subject matter really interesting; by studying students in Greek life at a large southern university, she explored a community that isn’t often looked at with an academic gaze.

Despite the fact that Dr. Berbary approaches her work with the lens of an academic (which I also hope to do upon graduation from CUNY), there’s quite a bit to be gleaned as journalists from the way she looks at her studies.  Sometimes the best way to get to know the community you’re working with is to just be there.  By this, I mean being present at community events and functions, and generally serving as an advocate for these groups.  But in this week’s readings and last week’s discussions, I came across a really interesting point.  What if these communities aren’t physically there?  What if they’re online?

With the rise of the internet, these “virtual communities” are all over.  My favorite example of this is Reddit.  If you’re not familiar with Reddit, go give it a spin.  There’s a sub-reddit thread for quite honestly everything you can think of.  It enables groups of people who share common goals and interests to connect with one another and have discussions about the subjects they’re passionate about.

In Henry Jenkins’ “Convergence Culture,” we get a really great in depth look at how these new technologies are changing the way we associate with one another.  He had a great quote that really resonated with me, on how despite the fact that “media technologies have expanded the range of available delivery channels, enabled consumers to recirculate content in powerful new ways…there has been an alarming concentration of ownership of commercial mainstream media.”

Every one of us has the capability to reach an audience or become a part of a community with the devices in our pockets; it’s the tactics we use that set us apart as journalists.

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT:

• Does your community have an online meeting place?  How have they used new media to communicate?

22 thoughts on “Communities in the Age of New Media”

1. For communities like mine, social media (particularly Facebook and Twitter) are important for those trying to connect to others who can help fight deportation. I’ve already seen and experienced this in my reporting work, and I’ve found Twitter to be a great tool to not only connect to immigrants themselves, but also to lawyers and advocates. Through my reporting this week, I found out that the immigration lawyer community is tight-knit, and communicates frequently through email list servs, Facebook, and Twitter.

But when it comes to the undocumented overall, I’m not sure if there’s an online meeting place. Because of the fear involved, people tend to be very private about their legal status. One I have found through my research is <a href="http://foro.univision.com/t5/Inmigracion-Visas/bd-p/visas&quot; Univision's immigration forums. Univision is one of the biggest Spanish-language TV networks in the country, so it makes sense that it’s a good place to bring people together online. The forums contain questions about immigration overall, including the undocumented. I’m going to continue to search out these “third places” online.

I also suspect that my community’s physical third places, especially churches, have secondary online communities. For example, there’s a case I’ve been following in Iowa of a Honduran pastor who’s about to get deported. His church and the larger faith community rallied around his family and gathered more than 25,000 signatures of people who oppose his deportation around the country. This was managed not only through traditional media coverage, but through online networks among the Mennonite community. Plus, an advocacy group called Americas Voice has helped amplify the case through its own blog, Facebook, and Twitter.

I think this is indicative of what I’ve heard from advocates: when the undocumented aren’t under immediate threat from legal action or deportation, they tend to avoid talking about their status. But when it becomes a reality, they spring into action. So I suspect that as I think about online communities and a final project, it will either involve trying to find a way to tap into the “silent” community, or the one trying to amplify its voice about immediate deportation threats.

As I find and engage with the community from social media, I’m trying to find ways to continually interact and provide useful information. As we read this week in the paper by Lewis, Holton, and Coddington, tapping into online communities helps build a culture of reciprocity between journalists and the public. “Social media, in particular, suggests that reciprocity is critical to social engagement and connectedness,” they wrote. Reciprocity, they say, helps build trust and goodwill, and represents a “basic building block of online community.”

1. Great quote from the paper, Rachel.

Your community is so interesting in this way. It might be worth it at some point to actually see if there is any academic literature about social media and immigrant communities – even a quick search. I’d try the mass media complete database (gee, I assume we have that here at CUNY? Haven’t checked yet.) I wonder if there has been any interesting research about this interplay between silence and the need to mobilize at times.

2. My community’s significance starts as an online space. I’m working with the black social media activism community (hence, Black Twitter). Although there were black activists and various black communities before Twitter obviously, the social platform helped shed light on various social issues black people faced and garner national attention. The community’s recognition and voices were driven by trending hashtags.

Therefore, my community is a virtual community. It functions first and foremost virtually, and its able to pound the pavement starting with how voices can stand together on their issues.

The community has many black millennials and as a young black person, it’s easy for me to interact with members of this community. Actually, I have been following the community for sometime, but now I’m doing it with developing social journalistic ways of design thinking, gathering information, data and research, engagement and an organized approach at social media curation.

Although approaching them from a journalistic standpoint can be hard at times, I think with time and listening to voices I’ll be able to build more trust from my community. I think I’m on the right track though, plenty of reliable sources to follow and keep in touch.

3. There are numerous online communities for LGBT people. Empty Closets , founded in 2004, is a nonprofit online community set up as a safe space for people 13 to 18 years old. COLAGE started in 1988 and unites people with LGBTQ parents into a network of peers and support. They continue to expand their efforts online. They’ve created a Kidsafe Blog on Tumblr. LesBePure is a Christian based resource with a desire to help lesbians find balance in their faith and sexual orientation. There are most likely hundreds more communities like these, many with different purposes that serve different people.

LGBT Centers in general are an enormous part of the community I’m focusing on. There are safe spaces that cater towards all who are queer and queer allies. Eighteen centers exist in New York but this isn’t counting the smaller spaces that serve their communities. The Center in NYC alone serves 6,000 visitors each week. Knowing this confirms that the queer community is colossal making it difficult to figure out where to start when it comes to fully understanding what they may need.

Meeting with Dr. Lisbeth Berbary via Skype was extremely encouraging as she also researched a community that is, in a way, enormous. There are hundreds upon hundreds of sorority houses in the U.S. It may have been daunting to choose one sorority out of hundreds but this didn’t deter her from delving in and discovering the issues within it. I’m attempting to start small and work my way into the community instead of trying to take it all on at once. I’d like to form relationships in person, gain trust and meet the brains behind the operation while I also work online to take what I’ve learned is important and spread knowledge this way, in turn making another space for queer women to discuss what’s issues are transpiring.

I agree with Sean when he mentions journalists can learn from Dr. Berbary’s learning’s. She gave insight as to how to work with sources that might be difficult and even went into the topic of wording questions in a different way for us to get more information. “Tell me more about…” is something I’m now going to be using in many of my interviews as when I used it once last week after she spoke to us in class and, in the beginning of an interview, it really did help the interviewee deliver a more in depth answer.

This idea of understanding a community by simply being there seems to be a reoccurring theme this semester. This could play a huge role in changing the way journalism works: pitching a story, finding sources, writing a story and going on to the next pitch, new sources. It’s possible social journalism is set on a path to make changes to this process to make it more of a two-way process instead of just one.

4. The qualitative research Dr. Berbary has done is brilliant, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I was overwhelmed by the outline of her doctoral qualitative methodology course at first. However, upon speaking with her in class several theories and methods she pointed out were extremely helpful. I was particularly interested in the ethnography and narrative methods as well as her advice for interviews. I’m always working on ways to improve my reporting skills. For the most part I go into interviews semi-structured as I like to have background info and be prepared with questions. However, it’s important to be open to doing unstructured interviews that guided by the participant. This is an area I know I need to work on. I love the idea of coming up with lists and unpacking them as well as doing some collective memory work if I have the chance to do long interviews. However, even during short interviews, especially within my community, I’m walking away from the discussion ready to explore several methods I know will be useful.

I’d actually like to do a walk along interview with a band that I recently met. They often perform on the streets and subways in New York City. I think it will be the perfect way to help drive their story and for me to learn more about them. It will also help create a different type of narrative, and a more docu-style feel I’d like to test when I put them on camera.

I’m still trying to pinpoint exactly what type of music community I am engaging overall as there are so many types of music and music lovers out there. For the most part I am working with what I call music enthusiasts. What I mean by that is that they are people who not only appreciate musicianship, but also want to be the leaders in new music discovery. They want to be “in the know” when it comes to new talent while keeping up to date with popular music. They are lovers of independent artists because being on the verge means knowing who the next big thing is. So, keeping up with who you think might be the next rising star is important. This group also consists of musicians, particularly independent artists as they are the ones looking to really engage fans and make it in the music business. They fall into this group partially because they are more accessible on line and in person making them available for conversations in the community and now just leaders in the community.

When it comes to Sean’s questions about whether or not my community has online meeting place or if they use new media to communicate the answer is yes. However, this community can not just exist online. There is a space for music enthusiasts to engage in online conversations. Many use social media to share new music news, recommend music or playlists and promote independent artists as well as live shows or festivals. Of course you can find fan clubs, follow artists online or connect through services like Spotify or YouTube, but being present in the real world is also important. Going to live shows is an entirely different thing than being online and music enthusiasts appreciate the experience. It’s almost a rite of passage to be able to say, I saw so and so before they were a Grammy award-winning artist. Also, for the musicians it’s a matter of surviving and making money in the music industry. They don’t make big dollars (by any means) to have their music streaming online and prefer if fans buy music at live shows. So, even though this community has an online presence it would never be able to exist online only. I actually appreciate this truth because music is a way for people to come together and share a moment that can’t exist the same way online. Concerts can be recorded and shared on the web, and there’s something magical about too, but nothing can replace a live music experience.

1. So glad you found the tips useful. I really like the idea of the walk-along interview.

Heh, that is one of the things that is also tricky just about a city as huge as New York – even among indie music fans there are probably even more subsets than in a smaller city were for the most part, few opportunities to see live music means somewhat more uniformity in the group.

5. Over the course of these weekly blog posts, I’ve had a very interesting approach to the analysis of the topics considered. I’m going to write about my process a bit, in the hopes that someone might find some insight into the discussions of qualitative analysis and convergence media that have been blended into this weeks post. I’ll base it on the first learning point Dr. Lisbeth Berbary discussed over Skype last week.
    My field notes are as follows-
    Triangulation. Holding a crystal up to a light bulb and seeing a lot of different facets. Stepping away from absolute truth and showing the complexities of what’s actually going on out there”

Each of my blog post starts with a song. It’s true. I get lyrics in my head and go from there. For the blog post, “Presenting Design Results on NJ.com” I had the song, Ballad of a Thin Man” with its lyric, ‘something is happening and you don’t know what it is….do you, Mr. Jones’. With “Connecting with you Community”, I started with the Ledbelly song, Midnight Special. (let the midnight special, shine a light on me….) There was even a Johnny Cash reference for “People formerly known as the audience”, though I can’t remember how that fit in. I start with the song lyrics then get thinking from there.
    This week, after the readings, and extensive notes on Ms. Berbary’s presentation, the song that popped in my head was Rolling Stones, “Here comes your 19th Nervous Breakdown”.
    “Here it comes, here it comes, here comes your 19th nervous breakdown….you better stop, look around…here it comes…”

I’d seriously fear for anyone who would have to use me as a study topic, and perhaps that’s why I’m the social journalist and not the study group. However, we’ve all chosen complex communities and have the difficult task of getting beyond such triangulations of fact to how we can analyze our subjects. Not many of us have chosen communities of which we identify with. About half of us have. There are pros and cons to that. Our relationships and interactivity with the community will frame how we are able to present them to a larger audience. Mr. Berbary noted that how we situate ourselves among those paradigms will influence the outcomes of our field research. These are the examples that will separate our journalism slants from our social media slants. Though some will argue that communities can totally exist online, our representations will be weak and flat if we miss the opportunities to study them live.
    Ms. Berbary suggested that we consider were the following:
    Ethnography- learn about the community as a whole
    Observation- gives insight in what the important questions truly are, before you go in with a list of questions to ask.
    Participation-active involvement over listening changes the direction of an interview. Example- letting a person digress and talk, vs. reigning them back to topic.
    Deductive work-if you go in looking for a specific answer, you might miss something that comes from listening alone.
    Location- Create a linguistic picture based on data and raw observation
    Language- How you ask questions, and in which order will affect the replies from your subject.

In other words, it’s like Mick said. “Stop. Look around. Here it comes!”
    Now, pause a minute and consider the above in the realm of an online community. Do you think one could deduce a fair representation of the group without being physically present to research and infer from those points above? It would be taking an incredibly multi-dimensional observation and flattening it down to a screen, some typing and your own insights on the communities surroundings and hidden thoughts.

Though the above is only a minute example of the valuable teachings Ms. Berbary shared, we have to shift to how that plays into convergence media. Because it’s here that we social journalists face the unique conundrum of having to gain elite status as experts at merging two very different forms of connectivity.

How do we jointly embed ourselves and commit to a full representation of a community while having to frame our topic to the massive audience? I am speaking of an audience, like our class itself, with so many levels of knowledge, understanding, skills and variations of brain capacity? By brain capacity, I mean how much time or availability we have for the topic. Does our audience want the topic neatly conformed to a five minute morning newsletter, or should we pitch the topic as an interactive video game of choices for change based on how we relate to the community’s needs. Seriously, it wouldn’t surprise me if in 5 years we see Rachel’s immigration reform community being legislated by a series of choices on a Play Station screen with points earned for safe passage and green cards issued based on how well our educated public chooses game options based on reporting, but refined to such a user experience.

Convergence describes the process by which we will sort through those options. There will be no magical black box that puts everything in order again. Media producers will find their way though their current problems only by negotiating their relationships with their consumers. Audiences, empowered by these new technologies, occupying a space at the intersection between old and new media, are demanding a right to participate within the culture. Producers who fail to make their peace with this new participatory culture will face declining good will and diminished reveues. The resulting struggles and compromises will define the public culture of the future. (p.24, Jenkins)

There is value in qualitative methods, and qualitative methods are used in the formation of our new social media society. Yet the two are almost diametrically opposed when it comes to studying communities. The grandest and most discussed of our platforms tend to focus more on metrics and garnering the biggest market than they do on content and using the tools of social media to advance a cause. So far in our studies we’ve seen the tools of social media being used to advance social media. Our future will depend on one of the insights Carrie shared in class, which is how we use collective intelligence in our new participatory culture. She suggested that collective intelligence comes through the merging of value and capital. On my very small scale of the research and work that I am doing with my community, benefitted a lot from the lecture of Dr. Lisbeth Berberry.

P.S.
    I recognized some of the tools that my group has inadvertently used in their outreach and advocacy. Sharing photos to bring about stories, and gathering the collective memory of the group has been incredibly impactful. The group created photo badges of their loved ones, and the literally stick them in the hands/faces of powerful people they are trying to reach politically. They physically thrust these trinkets at other bodies who are sharing an actual space with them. I’ve seen them do the same thing online, with not only photos, but stories. It is much harder to generate the same emotion and pressure that way. However, at the same time, some collective memory reporting and video work was incorporated into a major campaign that the DOT recently published through media networks including facebook, twitter, internal communications, outreach to the Taxi and Limosuine Commission.

As an online community, of course the reach is always farther and the ability to attract new members is somewhat easier. There are layers to advocacy, and the online presence of groups such as mine helps to stratify the collective intelligence and priorities within our group.

1. Very good, Cristina. I think you distilled a few of the important lessons from Dr. Berbary, and I think it’s neat how you can line up these insights with song lyrics as you have here, and how you are learning how the groups you have worked with use some of the strategies we’ve discussed, even if they don’t realize they are doing it.

I think it’s also a key point to consider the bandwidth your community has to absorb the things they need or want to know. When you get very passionate about an issue, it’s easy to believe that everybody will care as much as you do – but in truth, people are juggling so many things in their lives that it can be difficult for them to invest as much of themselves as we might like. It’s important to think about that as we design info for them.

6. There were many things that stood out for me from Dr. Lisbeth Berbary’s lecture. In many ways, I actually could relate to a lot of it as many techniques were closely related to things you practice in acting school….ha ha!

Collective Memory Work is straight from the school of method acting. In CMW, it is all about memory debriefing in order to get something you would not normally expect to get from an interview: raw honesty. In method, you do something similar: you use your own personal emotional experiences in order to help you create certain emotions and feelings the character you are portraying is having. As an actor I never liked method, as i thought it was a selfish way to act. If you are so involved in your own feelings you are simultaneously ignoring everyone else who shares the scene with you….but i digress.

I feel here in approaches to interviews, it is very useful. The idea of using photographs and visuals to help someone remember and express themselves seems like a very useful way to help the subject remember key moments, experiences.

To Sean’s question: My community shares an online meeting place. They do exist within the social networking world but its presence relies on meeting physically. That’s not say both are not dependent on one another – of course they are. My FB page We are Futsal, has become a great location for young people to share ideas about soccer, youth soccer and issues surrounding sports and the community.

And Sean is correct. We can help these communities use better tactics in order to spread the word AND serve them. But we should stay humble and not for one second claim ownership or validation. If the smartest person in the room is the room itself then lets help the room be more useful.

1. So interesting, Luis. I would have never seen the relationship between this and method acting until you pointed it out.

7. To start, I’m going to focus on what I learned from our guest speaker and readings, then I’ll get more into the online communities idea.

Five lessons from our conversation with Dr. Lisbeth Berbary:

1. “Never just use observation.”
    I think this ties back to the design-thinking exercises. Observing people is useful, but talking to them, too, is much more useful. This isn’t a perfect example, but we observed commuters wearing headphones. We assumed they were using the headphones to listen to something (music? games? podcasts?), but didn’t explicitly ask “Hey, why are you wearing headphones?” For all we know, the answers could have been “My ears were cold and I don’t like wearing hats.” You don’t know unless you ask, and assumptions are often wrong.

2. “Start by looking at everything. … It can be overwhelming.”
    I was glad to hear her acknowledge this step is overwhelming. I feel like that’s where I am now in looking at my community — open to everything but a little overwhelmed but how much there is, how many people there are, how much there is to learn.

3. “Your hand should hurt.”
    As in, you should be taking notes furiously while observing. My hand often hurts when writing down notes during interviews, and now I know I should apply that same commitment to documenting things accurately and immediately to the observation step, too.

4. “Open your interview with a big, open-ended question. A ‘tell me’ question.”
    I’ve been starting my get-acquainted interviews with “Walk me through your workday,” but now I know I should use that kind of a technique when doing more targeted interviews, too. I like the “tell me” phrase. “Tell me about your proudest moment” just sounds so much nicer than “What was your proudest moment?” I hope I remember to use that phrasing in interviews going forward.

5. “It’s easier to go specific to general than general to specific.”
    This is a good reminder for me to try to get more concrete examples from people I’m interviewing. Not just “What’s the worst feeling you’ve had while doing your job?” but instead/also “Can you tell me what happened to make you feel that way?”

And now onto the online communities question.

My community is very much online. People are online for their jobs, and often talk about their jobs in community gathering places, such as a Facebook group or during a Twitter chat. I’ve also heard from people in the community that there are private chatrooms where they talk to others doing similar jobs within a company. I suspect other than talking in person to community members they work with on a daily basis, most communication between members of my community takes place online — through social media or more private systems like chatrooms.

8. Dr. Berbary’s lecture was fascinating, as from a psychological standpoint, observing how people interact can show you how comfortable one feels in a particular community. Utilizing techniques and tips from her presentation for interviews and observations will lead to a more nuanced understanding of our communities. Dr. Berbary’s discussion regarding the use of triangulation in research, where only the truth is reported, and crystallization, where one records as many angles and experiences as possible, was especially relevant to our own information gathering. Understanding the different facets and overlapping complexities that compose the diversity of the communities we are serving is vital to our work.
    What was most striking to me was how Dr. Berbary chose to research a community in which she had virtually no knowledge of, where as most of us are approaching our communities with a preexisting interest in or knowledge of this group. In fact, some of us may even be members of our own communities.
    When perusing the online presence of my community, I came across a large website cemetery of organizations and projects that are now no longer active. This strange phenomenon has heightened my curiosity as to why so many seemingly promising ideas could not maintain longevity. Were there financial issues? A lack of participants? It’s important to find out what didn’t work in the past to ensure the success of the future. It is my hope that cultivating an online hub has the potential to fill a dearth in this community.

1. Glad you found it valuable. That is interesting re: projects that are no longer active. I bet much can be learned from finding out what happened there. Sustaining passion and energy over time can be difficult. Curious if you had any more specific thoughts about the readings.

9. The time-tested tools in every journalist’s arsenal, like a good text and analytical thinking, are still great and indispensable. But to me it seems that they are increasingly not enough to do the job — which make sense in a ever more complex world. From design-thinking to business modeling, it is nice to see that the journalists are having more contact with other disciplines. This week we had an expert in qualitative research to talk about how we can use the discipline and methodology of other human sciences to better understand the people and the community that we are serving.

The purpose of Ethnography, as per Lisbeth Berbary definition, is “To understand/critique/deconstruct the day-to-day experiences of participants living within a specific culture/subculture in order to illuminate how that culture ‘works.’” This is fundamental to take action as journalists-advocates, and her work (as the whole field) provides important ways of thinking about people and communities, which I’m still just beginning to explore.

We talked a lot in class about the specific tools (like observation, artifact collection, interviews, journals, etc) and we went deep in certain interview techniques that we can use to get a better sense of the group that we are studying and interacting, and it was great. Another interesting discussion was the role of subjectivism in constructing ethnographic narratives. Professor Berbary writes:

We cannot separate our bias, our experiences, or ourselves from our qualitative research.

Being open about our interests when observing/interviewing groups is paramount in ethnography. And, on top of that, for us, I would say that we need to align our interests with the community (or, rather, cause) that we are interacting with. Not only because of the element of thrust, but because we are working with a shared desirable goal in mind. And to be successful — and not extremely conflicted internally — we must agree in what is important to do. After all, we are probably working to, within and for the community. We better show our bias and make sure that they are their bias somewhat.

Getting back do Sean’s question, I’m not really sure if my community have “AN online meeting space”, but I don’t think that it really matters, as I don’t see a big distinction in “virtual” and “real” for this purpose. There are many places that my new community “meet”, from groups on Facebook to seminars (IRL, as they say), and they are also scattered among other communities as, for instance, a readership of some specific publications.

I think the people that make up my “community” behave differently depending on the place that they are interacting, as we all do, so I should try different strategies of approaching them depending on the “place”, online or off. But I understand that some communities exist more (and maybe only) as online entities, and I would be extremely interested in taking the ethnography rulebook and apply to online studies.

1. Hi Pedro – good point – thinking about how we interact and present different aspects of our identities in different public and online spaces is key.

10. The process of learning about our communities as a bystander meshes well with the more traditional study of ethnography. As we all attempt to make inroads to gain trust with our chosen communities. Techniques borrowed from Professor Lisbeth’s experience with “humanist qualitative research” will help us to position us better within our community projects.

As I ventured into the field, so to speak, to meet with a representative of the Newtown Creek Alliance, how could I build trust? For one I think that commonalities in experience and perspective are a solid foundation for trust. As a Greenpoint resident myself, where Newtown Creek is partly located, I’m more than an outsider who is interested in the issues affecting the area; I’m also being affected. This is a shared experience that I communicated; my concern for remediation of the creek also aligns my perspective and builds trust.

In terms of ethnography, Greenpoint was until recently a Polish community of first generation immigrants. In the early, 2000’s Greenpoint experienced an influx of artists who were priced out of Manhattan and who wanted more space to create. Even just a decade ago the human aspect of the neighborhood was much different than it is today. In the grocery store that I frequent, most of the staff is Polish as are many of the customers. When I go to the Polish bakery near my apartment I sometimes sense apprehension towards my presence, as the ‘outsider.’ But what does this mean for the makeup of my community?

There is no singular race/ethnicity that is a target for my project. If you live in North Brooklyn and are breathing the air, then you’re part of my community. However I have noticed a disconnect in awareness of community issues. Many of the “new residents” in North Brooklyn are younger recent college students who moved to the area for a new NYC experience. The new residents may not realize what the history of the area means to them: I should ask does the history have any resonance in their day-today lives?

This is a next step process that I’m working towards: Gaining a pulse of the consciousness in the area amongst new residents. To do so I’m partnering with two graduate students at the New School who are studying Newtown Creek and will later travel to Argentina to visit an area with a similar history of environmental pollution and mitigation. In the meantime we hope to tap into the shared-knowledge of North Brooklyn residents.

1. I love the partnership you are working on! So great. Your community has a lot of interesting dynamics that will be fascinating to explore.

11. I found Dr Berbary’s lecture very complete and pragmatic. Her methodology dedicated to journalism is very impressive.

During my Bachelor’s program, I studied at University of La Sorbonne, learning about the multiple interactions between Economics and Sciences (mainly Physics ) – from to through – and putting economic theories back in their sociological and historic context.

Prior, I followed a class of Modern Literature and Philosophy during a preparatory program to Poly-Sci and learn about the main movement she quoted. I’m very curious to know about her position regarding the existentialism, which is based in part on the phenomenology movement, related to the journalism artwork.

Concerning the New York techies community, I would say that they have so many place to meet and they are so organized that I couldn’t list them all. Of course, as I regularly mentioned the New York Tech meet up is one on the most important physical meeting point. The Meetup group counts more than 40,000 members. Not mentioning derivative group like Tech In Motion meetup, Women in Tech meetup.

Besides these meeting points, regular events like the or Hackathon Disrupt organized by TechCrunch from May. 4 to May. 6 are always a new occasion to for members to meet. Eventually local sub-communities like Silicon Harlem gathers New York Techies. It is interesting to see you Tech legacy companies interact with Tech startups, offering them workspace and defining themselves as incubators.

12. I found Dr Berbary’s lecture very complete and pragmatic. Her methodology dedicated to journalism is very impressive.

During my Bachelor’s program, I studied at University of La Sorbonne, learning about the multiple interactions between Economics and Sciences (mainly Physics ) – works and research from Popper to McClovskey through Feyerabend – and putting economic theories back in their sociological and historic context.

Besides these meeting points, regular events like the Techdays or Hackathon Disrupt organized by TechCrunch from May. 4 to May. 6 are always a new occasion to for members to meet. Eventually local sub-communities like Silicon Harlem gathers New York Techies. It is interesting to see you Tech legacy companies interact with Tech Startups, offering them workspace and defining themselves as incubators.